Transformational Leadership and Spirituality
The Transformational Leader is a spiritual leader. Wayne Dyer states that we are spiritual beings in a human body. Many times, our humanness displaces our awareness of our spiritualness. As we age, we are able to be more aware of our spiritual selves. We can learn to trust our intuitive thoughts and feelings. We are more aware that we are spiritual beings, indeed.
In Bowen Family Systems Theory, the journey is about self – basic self vs. pseudo self. The journey is one of self-awareness and management of self. The journey is more about observing than doing.
As leaders become more aware of their spiritual dimension, decisions are informed, anxiety is lowered, clarity is gained, and results are improved – for everyone involved.
My spiritual self is based on my Christian beliefs and practices. My worship is grounded by historic theology and practice. My prayer and study is grounded in scripture. I also believe that God did not die when the Bible was published. I know that God continues to create scripture in the lives of believers and followers. In being a Christian spiritual leader, it is important to observe life through spiritual eyes.
In order for leaders to function at their best, it is important to be centered, grounded, and solid as a spiritual being.
Here are my components for daily spiritual discipline:
- Reading: I choose scripture or devotional writings that are scripture-based for my spiritual feeding.
- Prayer: Spending time talking to God, and then time listening. I pray for others and somehow it impacts me.
- Concentration: Random thoughts fill my mind with inspiration. I pay attention and take notes.
- Meditation: This is very different from praying or concentrated thinking. Meditation for me is focused on something specific. I am fully immersed in it and focus on the singular topic.
- Quiet: That’s it – just being quiet is profound.
Sometimes these components are combined with others. For instance, running and meditation are very compatible. This works because I do not use a music player. Silence is great.
Will you share some of your best spiritual practices?
The Transformational Leadership Strategist
(c) 2012 Hugh Ballou. All rights reserved.