5 Deadly Leadership Gaps
Defining the gaps in skills and experience is the most important step to effective leadership. Knowing self is the key to personal success.
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. – John F. Kennedy
Here are some of the most prevalent barriers to success that I encounter:
- Not Knowing Self: What’s blocking our success is not knowing what really is happening in our subconscious mind and not being aware of how past issues are crippling future success. It’s crucial to understand self and have an expert guide the process of self-discovery and awareness. We get trapped in a cycle and don’t know what caused us to get trapped in the first place.
- Not Having a Coach: Yes, I’m a coach and I’m certainly in favor of everyone having a coach. Actually, I have 2 coaches, so I do practice what I preach. I can’t do for myself what I can do for others…none of us can, and if we think we can, then who do we think we are fooling? Look at those who are successful and explore how many coaches they have. Successful people have coaches…the rest think they can do it for themselves.
- Not Having a Plan: The quantifiable difference between those who are successful and those who continually find that success is elusive…is a plan. Having a plan is a roadmap to your destination. It’s not an option.
- Not Having a Team: Building and maintaining a support group is how legendary leaders stay informed and inspired. In his research, Napoleon Hill discovered that the successful people he interviewed (Ford, Edison, Wanamaker, Woolworth, 5 Presidents, and more) all had a group of successful individuals they used for a mastermind support system for inspiration and problem solving. We become like the people we hang around with the most.
- Not Having an Accountability Process: Having the motivation and support of those who hold leadership accountable is a trap. Marginal leaders make excuses. Effective leaders have transparent accountability.
Check out my posts at SynerVision Leadership Foundation about leader burnout and let me know what you think.
Get Hugh’s Mini-Course on the 5 Pillars of Success for only $9
Click on the Image